No wonder a few of the best places to travel in the USA are Jamaica and the Bahamas, which are located near the Caribbean Islands. However, the US Department of State has issued an advisory for every traveller because of the violent crime that is creating problems for the population of Jamaica and the Bahamas.
For Jamaica, the State Department has issued a level 3 travel advisory because of crime and medical services. Whereas, for the Bahamas, the advisory was issued on January 26 for travellers to be extra careful.
Travel advisory for Jamaica
The issuance of a Level 3 travel advisory in Jamaica is done for the safety of American travellers. It is because of the increased violent crimes like home invasions, sexual assaults, homicides, etc. Plus, the emergency services and hospital care might not meet as per the US standards on the island.
Areas to avoid in Jamaica
If you are planning for USA tour packages and Jamaica is on your exploration list, then it is better to avoid some areas on the island. Try not to visit places in Jamaica like:
- Ann’s Parish
- Catherine’s Parish
- Elizabeth’ Parish
- Hanover Parish
- Cassava Piece
- Downtown Kingston, etc.
Safety guidelines for people travelling to Jamaica
The State Department has suggested travellers avoid travelling to Caribbean countries. But even if you are planning to visit, then follow these safety guidelines:
- Don’t bring any firearms or ammunition, as the penalties are severe and can lead to long prison sentences.
- Avoid walking at night in Jamaica.
- Don’t visit any secluded places.
- Avoid resisting any robbery attempt.
- Try to maintain a low profile.
- Follow STEP to get all the alerts.
- Have a contingency plan for the situation.
- Try to visit the CDC page for travel health information.
Travel advisory for the Bahamas
The travel advisory for the Bahamas was issued on January 26. Travellers planning US trip packages are advised to be extra careful while visiting the Bahamas. Crimes like burglaries, sexual assaults, etc. happened mostly on the island of New Providence, which is known as the home of Nassau and is located on the island of the Great Bahamas.
Plus, the State Department advises travellers to avoid opting for activities like boat tours, as they are not regulated consistently. There is also a security alert by the US Embassy stating that there have been around 18 murders in the Bahamas since the beginning of 2024.
The US Embassy in Nassau issued some safety precautions for travellers.
If you are planning summer tour packages that include the Bahamas, then follow these safety precautions:
- Try to exercise extreme caution when in the Bahamas, especially when in the eastern part of Nassau.
- Try to be aware when driving or walking during unusual hours.
- Maintain a low profile.
- Have some personal security plans.
- Avoid physically resisting any robbery attempt.
- Keep a check on your surroundings.
Safety guidelines for people travelling to the Bahamas
Planning for America tour holidays can be fun. But if you are travelling to the Bahamas during this time, then follow these safety guidelines shared by the State Department to be safe:
- Avoid answering at your hotel room or residence if you don’t know the person.
- Avoid physically resisting any robbery.
- Get into the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, or STEP, to get all the alerts and get located during an emergency.
- Visit the CDC page to get travel health information.
Travelling to the US is exciting. But during this time of the year, visiting the Bahamas and Jamaica is slightly risky. However, you can follow the safety guidelines issued by the State Department and avoid visiting risky areas.To read more about such a United States travel guide, you can visit us.